How To Apply For Sassa Grant Online 2023

Apply For Sassa Grant: The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) is the government agency that handles social grants in South Africa. Proper planning and application techniques will ensure you get the maximum payout from social grants. In this post, I’ll explain how to fill out your Sassa online application and what you need before you start.

Also Check: Sassa Status Check

Online Application For Sassa 2023

Apply For Sassa Grant Online

Sassa grants come in a variety of forms, including:

  • People who are older
  • Grants for war veterans
  • Grants for Disabilities
  • Grant for Child Support
  • Grants for Care Dependency
  • Grant for foster children
  • Aid to the Distressed

Grants for care dependency:

Children with severe disabilities who require special care and observation are eligible for this grant.

The following qualifications are required:

  • As an applicant, you must be a South African citizen, permanent resident, or refugee.
  • For you to be eligible for the grant, you and your child must live in South Africa.
  • Grants are available for children under the age of 18
  • As proof of disability, a medical assessment report is required
  • Obtain the required mean test score (spouse too, if married, but not foster parents)
    State-funded institutions do not provide funding

The required document is:

Documents required for a care dependency grant include:

  • The applicant’s and spouse’s identification documents
  • Documentation of childbirth
  • A certificate of marriage or spousal relationship (for example, a sworn statement, a divorce order, or a death certificate).
  • You must provide proof of your income and assets
  • Documentation for the Medical Assessment

What is the application process?

If you are unable to visit the Sassa office, you can give the power of attorney to your friend or any family member who is able to apply for a grant on your behalf. When your application is completed, a receipt will be given to you. You must keep this receipt safe as it is the only proof that you have applied for the grant.

 The Child Support Grant consists of:

Sassa is one of the country’s largest child support programs, through which millions of people receive government assistance.

The following qualifications are required:

As an applicant, you must meet the following requirements:

  • A parent, grandparent, or the child itself if he or she has a family at the age of 16.
  • Citizens or permanent residents of South Africa
  • A South African citizen currently living in the country
  • It is not appropriate to pay a caretaker to watch over a child
  • It is not the responsibility of the state institutions to care
  • In order to be a good child, you must:
  • Under the age of 18.
  • Uncared for by a state-run institute
  • The caretaker and child live in the same house

Documents needed:

  • An ID (with a 13-digit code)
  • A child’s birth certificate
  • Proof of earning
  • If there is a marriage certificate, please provide it
  • A court order (if you have custody)
  • Papers for divorce (in the event of separation)
  • Missing or deceased person’s death certificate

If you need assistance, you can ask a SASSA officer for assistance.

 Sassa grant application process?

Sassa’s nearest office can assist you with the grant application. When you submit the application form, you will receive a receipt that is proof of your application. Please keep this receipt in a safe place.

SASSA Grant for Foster Care

Foster children receive grants from the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA). Court-ordered foster children are those who have been orphaned, abandoned, neglected, abused, or at risk.

The following qualifications are required:

You must be eligible for the grant if you are:

  • An individual with South African citizenship, a residence permit, or refugee status.
  • A South African residential address is required for you and your child
  • A child younger than 18 years old
  • Currently, the child is being cared for by foster parents

Documents needed:

The following documents must be with you before you submit an application:

  • Documents proving identity (including spouse if applicable)
  • Status permits and refugee IDs are required for refugees.
  • A copy of the child’s birth certificate
  • Please bring the following if you don’t have ID documents or a birth certificate for your child:
  • A SASSA-format affidavit was completed in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not an official of the Sassa.
    A sworn statement from any reputable person who knows the child and family, such as a counselor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion, or school principal.
    Otherwise, your grant will be suspended if you do not obtain the ID from the Department of Home Affairs.
    Also, your fingerprint is taken in the presence of a Sassa official.
    The Department of Home Affairs requires proof that you have applied for ID documents after you apply for an ID.
  • As part of your application, the Department of Home Affairs issued you a temporary ID card processing.
  • A copy of the child’s baptismal certificate (if applicable)
    If you have a health clinic card, please provide it. If you have a school certificate, please provide it.

The application form can be completed in a number of ways. You can fill it out on your own, ask someone to help (like a parent or friend), or use the Sassa Application Form. The Sassa official will attend to the applicant’s queries and make sure the formalities are done correctly.

How to apply?

You can apply for the grant at any nearest Sassa office. Your application will be processed within three months and You will be granted an R1 070 per month per child. However, once you have applied, there are some additional criteria that you must satisfy in order to be granted a grant.

Grants for people with disabilities
Grants for care dependency, foster care, and child support

Grants for people with disabilities

Sassa is a non-profit organization that provides financial assistance to people who have been issued with a disability grant because they have a physical or mental health condition and are unable to work. Sassa provides grant money on an individual basis, depending upon each applicant’s situation. The grants are allocated to cover the daily living expenses of people with disabilities that prevent them from working or looking for employment.

The following qualifications are required:

In order to qualify for the disability grant, you must be:

  • Between the ages of 18 and 59
  • You are a South African citizen, a permit holder, or a refugee
  • At the time of application, you must live in South Africa
  • Under no state-owned institution’s care
  • (If single), earnings should be less than R86280.
  • If you are married, you should have a combined income of less than R172 560.
  • If you are single, your asset is worth less than R1 227 600
  • If married, assets worth less than R2 455 200
  • Obtain a medical examination or test to determine the severity of your disability

 Documents required:

Before applying for a Sassa disability grant, you must submit the following documents:

  •  13-digit barcode ID on the identity document
  • You can apply for an ID at the Department of Home Affairs if you do not have an ID by submitting an
  • affidavit in SASSA format, a sworn statement signed by a reputable person.
  • Disability proof in the form of a medical report
  • (If you are married, please provide proof of your marital status)
  • Document relating to residential properties
  • Document or report on income
  • Proof of assets or property
  • A copy of your private pension document (if you have one)
  • Information about your bank account (for the past three months)
  • Asylum seekers need a refugee ID
  • You will need a document from the UIF (Unemployment Insurance Fund) or a certificate from your previous employer
  • A copy of the will (if a spouse has died)

What is the process for applying for SASSA?

If you are a South African citizen and have been unemployed for over three months, the government is offering grants to help people get work. The grant funding is called the “Sassa grant”. You can apply for this grant at any nearest office where you live. Your friends, relatives, or family member are also allowed to apply on your behalf if they wish.

qualify for the disability grant

 The old age pension grant is as follows:

The old age grant is also called the state old-age pension which is paid on a monthly basis to those whose age is 65 or above with no other means of financial income. The only purpose of the grant is to help people in their old age. The amount of this grant depends upon the longevity of the persons who are receiving it and the year in which he/she attains his/her 65 years of age at that point in time.

The following qualifications are required:

You must meet the following requirements to qualify for the old age grant

  • A South African citizen, a holder of a residence permit, or a refugee seeking asylum.
  • Having South Africa as your country of residence
  • He will not take any other kind of social grant
  • Staying in state-run institutions is not permitted
  • If you are single, your income should not exceed R86280.
  • You should not earn more than R172 560 per year (if you’re married).
  • Singles should have assets worth less than R1 227 600, and married couples should have assets worth less than R2 455 200

 Documents required:

You will need to provide the following documents in order to process your grant application.

  • ID barcode with 13 digits
  • Certificate of marriage (if you are married)
  • Proof of residence
  • Payslips or income proof
  • You must provide proof of ownership of the property
  • Documents related to your private pension (if you have one)
  • Statements of bank accounts (previous three months)
  • If you are unemployed, you must provide proof of your Unemployment Insurance Fund
  • The discharge certificate from your previous job (if you were recently employed)
    (On a deceased spouse) a copy of their will

If you’ve backed out of your grant payment plan and have not made it to the payment stage, don’t despair. The option is still open for you to access government funds if you can identify yourself with a document that proves your identity. In other words, if you don’t have an identifying document like an ID, bank statement, or another official piece of identification, bring a sworn affidavit or complete form in the format of Sassa standard.

Are you applying for a Sassa grant?

If you’re thinking about applying for the older age grant, you may be wondering how to go about it. The Sassa branch offices are your best bet for getting all the information that you need about this scheme. These places have all the forms and documents in place to help people who are on a fixed income or living in difficult circumstances.

Documents required

You know that grants can really make your life easier, but getting a grant is no easy feat. You may think that you are qualified for a grant, but there are many steps before you actually get your hands on the money. The first step is applying for one with an agency or organization. Then, you will submit documents such as a personal statement and genealogy records if they were included in your application packet. After that, an officer will review the information you provided and then issue an approval or denial notice.

Grants for war veterans

The War Veterans Grant is for the former soldiers who fought in the Second World War (1939-1945) or the Korean War (1950-1953). Now they need support because they are unable to support themselves. It will be used for their daily living expenses, for example, rent, repairs, utility bills, and food.

Qualifications for grants:

The following criteria must be met in order to qualify for the grant.

  • Your citizenship or permanent residency in South Africa is South African
  • In the case of disability or at 60 years of age
  • A soldier from the Second World War or the Korean War
  • Does not receive any benefits from other types of grants
  • Does not reside in a state institution
  • The salary should be less than R86280 if you are single, and R172 560 if you are married
  • Singles must have assets worth less than R 1 227 600 and married couples must have assets worth less than R 2 455 200

How do I apply for Sassa?

You can apply for War Veteran’s Grant at any SASSA office that is located near you. After the decision, as the beneficiary, you will get an amount of R 1 910 per month. To get this grant, you must be a South African citizen with a permanent address in Gauteng province.

Grants for social relief in times of distress:

Unemployed persons can now apply for R350 SASSA Social Relief of Distress grants. It is the temporary provision of assistance for people who are currently unemployed and unable to fulfill the basics requirement of their families. The applicant is requested to provide a detailed explanation of the reasons for his/her distress, as well as a proposed plan for dealing with this situation including specific details of how his or her income will be raised.

Relief from distress by applying for social assistance

Social relief of distress grant may be available to you in the following circumstances:

  • During a crisis or disaster
  • As a result of a medical condition, I was unable to work when I processed children’s grants applications
  • In memory of a breadwinner who passed away
  • In the event that the breadwinner has been imprisoned for less than six months
  • Despite the fact that your area has not been declared a disaster area, you are affected by a disaster.

  Required Document:

For the R350 grant, you will need the following documents.

  • An ID with a barcode of 13 digits
  • Your application proof
  • An emergency situation is proof that you are in need of assistance
  • Do not have any financial resources or support
  • No matter your marital status, divorce status, or single status, you are a mother
  • Medically disabled or unfit for short-term work

You can still apply for the grant if you do not have an ID card or birth certificate:

  • A Justice of the Peace’s affidavit
  • A sworn statement signed by a reputable individual
  • Your birth certificate or identity document must be in your possession
  • The Department of Home Affairs issues temporary identity documents
  • If you have a baptismal certificate, please provide it
  • A copy of your health clinic card (if you have one)
  • (If applicable) a copy of your school certificate

 What is the procedure for applying for a SASSA grant online?

If you live in the area where a Sassa office is located, you can apply online or through that office.

  1. Here are some ways you can apply for the grant online:
  • Send a message to 082 046 8553 to apply via WhatsApp
  • Click on the link below and follow the steps:

2. After that, you must agree to the terms and conditions
3. Detailed information about yourself (phone number, ID card, and other personal information)
4. You will need to provide your banking details by selecting the payment method you wish to use.
5. You receive an SMS on your mobile phone. It is necessary for you to accept the ID.
6. The application is then verified and validated through a variety of methods by Sassa
7. Upon submission of your application, you can check the status of your application also by visiting SRD Website:

Final Words

Sassa is offering all South African citizens grants and funding opportunities to help them climb up the socioeconomic ladder and financially improve their lives. Sassa is a government financial service and grant agency that aims at improving the lives of poor people as per its mission statement.

38 thoughts on “How To Apply For Sassa Grant Online 2023”

Leave a Comment